Re-design your child’s bedroom! Surprise them with a freshly decorated bedroom when they come back to visit!
Now that summer vacation is almost over, August is the start of the back-to-school season! As students of all ages start to bust out their backpacks, many first-year college students are also saying goodbye to their families for the year. It’s a struggle for most freshmen to adjust to the freedom and responsibility of living alone. And for parents, it can be sad to see their childhood bedroom empty day after day. However, having your loved ones move out is also an opportunity to transform their rooms into a new space—a place they’ll find homely and welcoming when they come back to visit during Thanksgiving or summer breaks. And for when they move out for good, it’s always nice to have a well-designed extra guest room.
Here are some tips to help you plan your project:
- Decide on a budget. Find a range that you feel comfortable with and a maximum amount that you don’t want to exceed.
- Choose a color scheme. You can use colors that your child loves or a color scheme that matches the rest of your home.
- The bed is the centerpiece of the room. It has to look and feel comfortable. Getting a custom headboard is a very affordable way to revamp a bed, but you can also recover an existing one.
- Invest in a duvet cover. They come in a range of prices and can give an old comforter a fresh look.
- Pillows add personality. You can combine custom pillows and shams with ready-made ones to cut costs.
- Don’t forget about the windows! A beautiful roller shade can give you the flexibility of darkening your room or filtering light throughout the day. Adding stationary side panels or a simple valance can also create a warm and inviting feeling.
- Refinish an old desk or buy a new one. Your kids will want a place to study when they’re visiting home—the college workload never ends!
- Personalize! You can decorate their space with artwork, photos, trophies, or any object that is meaningful to your child.
Below is a sample we just finished for one of our clients in Plainfield, Illinois.
The images below are of a freshly redesigned bedroom for a college student, the room will serve as a guest room when she finally moves out.
For amazing ideas and styles call Gailani Designs, 630 420-0800